Re: York replacement

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rwd(AT)iteris.com on January 28, 2002 at 16:18:03:

In Reply to: York replacement posted by Kurt on January 28, 2002 at 14:56:47:

When I read this post, I started shaking. I wanted to call home and make sure the house was not on fire.

I, too, own a York Master, and I don't know what I'd suggest that would be similar. The York makes a bigger, fuller sound than a similarly configured (sort-of) King. The VMI 3301 that Klaus mentioned looks and plays like a smaller instrument. The Conns I've seen are either much bigger (e.g. 3xJ's or 2xJ's), or much smaller (e.g. 12J or 5J). The Willson 3100 is larger, but has many of the same characteristics at the expense of some of the agility and with the benefit of its greater size. It is also much more expensive.

If Walter Nirschl currently makes a 4/4 BBb tuba with piston valves, that might well come closest to a vintage York Master. After all, his factory (formerly called Boehm and Meinl) made the original York Master, and much of his current production is at least very similar. For example, a new 4/4 bottom bow seems identical to the one on my YM. But I'm not sure the YM bell will be available anywhere, though I must add that this may not be a problem--I'm not sure the bell is its very best feature.

The Miraphone 1291, when it is finally available, might be a possible replacement. The current 191, with rotary valves, seems to require more air for the same output, but that is probably just my perception. It is about the same overall size as a York Master, but in its rotary version has a much larger bore. The piston version will probably be about the same.

I have played some CC tubas that had many of the same characteristics, such as the Getzen G-50, and a no-longer-available Nirschl/Beuscher concoction by Matt Walters (which was a better instrument, in my opinion). These would require a big change on your part. I've also played one or two one-of-a-kind BBb creations that have similar characteristics, but, of course, these are even more rare than York Masters.

Of course, there is the possibility that you might find the differences between a York Master and a King 2341, a VMI 3301, or a Miraphone 191 favorable to you. You'll only find out by trying them out.

Good luck in your search.

Rick "who might have to switch to CC if something happens to his YM" Denney

Follow Ups: