Re: Re: Re: Re: Copywright Information

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2002 at 11:02:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Copywright Information posted by Phil Altpeter on January 28, 2002 at 23:18:34:

Okay, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Can you tell us where this is codified in law? Like I said, I've read the entire current law on the books for copyrights (I once published music and have also worked as a photographer), and never did I see anything at all about "P" markings. What does the "P" stand for? Performing rights? What is the 1972 legislation called?

I suppose that I've only seen the P on CD's that were produced outside the U.S., but now I'm going to look in my collection.

My understanding is that the only reason Performer A doesn't have to make a specific agreement to use the work of Songwriter B is that the venues in which they perform pay fees to ASCAP and BMI, who then distributes royalties to the songwriters. Of course, the songwriters agree to this by joining ASCAP or BMI. I see ASCAP and BMI notices on recordings all the time, before and since 1972. But this is a commercial arrangement made in conformance with copyright law, to make it easy and practical for performers to use music without having to deal directly with the copyright holders.

Rick "now confused" Denney

Follow Ups: