Re: Mouthpiece Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 07, 2003 at 01:52:39:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece Question posted by BPE on January 07, 2003 at 00:56:01:

The Bach 7 doesn't put out a sound. You put out a sound. Don't depend on the mouthpiece to provde what you should be providing yourself.

Reportedly, the megatone mouthpieces have a slightly different shape, possibly including a larger throat, and that alone would make a difference. The added mass does seem to have an effect, but the nature of that effect, and even whether it's better, is a controversial subject. Personally, I would not recommend playing games with things like heavyweight mouthpieces until you are secure enough in your playing to know what you want. Until that time, I'd use a proven, generic design.

Most folks I know who play Miraphones use a funnel-shaped mouthpiece. Miraphones can get edgy or a little too bright if played on a cup-shaped mouthpiece, unless you have the chops and the air to overcome the effect. Some Miraphone pros I know use Conn Hellebergs, and others use the similar Miraphone Rose Orchestra. Still others use a more expensive variation on one of these. Both of these are medium large, very deep funnel mouthpieces, and both will allow you to as easily as possible make a good sound on a Miraphone. They fit somewhat differently, though, and which one feels good to you and fits your face is something only you can decide.

I don't recommend Bach mouthpieces for the Miraphones, because they are cup-shaped and tend to make a bright horn even brighter.

The Bach 7 is one of the largest mouthpieces in the Bach line, and a real challenge to make a good sound on. If you wanted to try another Bach mouthpiece, I'd try an 18 first. But I'd try a Conn Helleberg even sooner. The Conn mouthpiece will feel very sharp on the rim compared to the wide, rounded curve of the 24AW. If you play with too much pressure, that edge will be uncomfortable, but it will also help you produce clean articulations.

Don't fall into the trap of trying a new mouthpiece every few months in search of something for nothing. Many professionals sound great on cheap mouthpieces like the Helleberg, and you can, too. At some point, you may want something that meets some specific need you have, but when you get to that point you won't need to ask us.

The Miraphone is a medium-large bore full-size tuba. Many rotary tubas have much larger bores, including the Miraphone 191, the 4/4+ Rudolf Meinl, and the Cervenys. Some are about the same. Most piston tubas have smaller bores. But I'm not sure that bore size is that closely related to anything important.

Rick "who also played a 24AW all through high school--but on a sousaphone" Denney

Follow Ups: