Re: Building your own flight case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on January 17, 2003 at 08:08:23:

In Reply to: Building your own flight case posted by Rob Edmiston on January 16, 2003 at 20:00:09:

I did exactly what you are looking to do. I handbuilt a case for an old York Eb. I only needed one sheet of 1/2 AC plywood. The main thing is to call the airline to see what their total dimension requirements are. I was flying Delta and they had 80" of combined L+W+H. It also had to weigh under 70 lbs. I built the case to fit the horn while wrapped in bubble wrap and a shipping blanket. I lined the case with one os those foam bed pads that you can pick up very cheap at any department store. I fastened the sides together with brass screws 2 inches apart and used some outside 90 deg brackets to to add extra support. I cut the plywood sides at an angle so that the case resmebles a bulkhead. This way the bell is at the large end and the bottom bow at the narrow end.

I had taken the case to the airport ahead of time to make sure it would meet their specifications. What they did in turn for my foresight was weigh the case (without the horn) and precheck the baggage. This was after 9/11 but before these new checked baggage regulations. I don't know if they can still do this, but the airport due appreciate the courtesy of checking this stuff out ahead of time.

When it was all said and done, I did not have to pay any excess baggage fees and the horn got back and forth with relative ease. I don't have the horn now, but I still have the case sitting in my basement. All said and done, it cost about $60 in raw materials to build the case.

Good Luck.

Matt G

Follow Ups: