Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Did you mean... on January 21, 2003 at 00:22:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Frank Lee on January 20, 2003 at 23:27:23:

the Dowling recording (English Tuba??)?? Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to start a spelling debate. But, if that is what you mean, I would have to say that there is a lot of great lit on that recording although I found it to be kind of sloppy on the playing end (for as much hype as this disc gets). Don't get me wrong, I can't play anything close to what he did (I'm a much better listener than a player), but there is slop to a degree that I've never heard on a recording (most notably one the Fantasy for Tuba, but enough on the VW to make me shake it off). I would also disagree with you about Mr. Catelinet's recording. If there's something different about the way that he played it compared to everything else, I would be almost willing to bet that he collaborated with the composer to either make those changes, or made the changes to the piece after the premier for the published version. Either way, (I know it has already been said) the piece was written for the guy, so he is obviously THE authority on the piece. Of course, there will be other interpretations, some more popular than others, but the Catelinet recording was the beginning of it all.

Take care, man.

Follow Ups: