Re: Breaking through that Barrier

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on January 24, 2003 at 13:39:55:

In Reply to: Breaking through that Barrier posted by Matt A on January 23, 2003 at 16:25:36:

Bill N.'s embouchure postings should be printed out and taped to our studio walls. "Air" gets stressed so much in our realm that embouchure tends to take a backseat sometimes... too often we see people who view air as the "solve-all".. ie they assume that any playing/sound problem is air related, and therefore will be solved by "more air!", which in the case of a weak embouchure only makes things worse. As a wise man said to me many many times, "Once those lips are blown apart, not even Atlas can get them back together."

...but that's not my answer to the question!

answer to the original question:
When I started getting my inspiration from myself instead of from recordings of "celebrity tubists", only then did I realize my own potential. Comparing "me, right now" to "me, three months ago" and observing how much I've improved is a lot more motivational than comparing "me, right now" to "someone with 40+ years more experience" and observing how far I have to go.

Setting a series of small goals inside of a very large goal is a technique that's helped me be more productive, as well- though I'm sure everyone does this already.

Follow Ups: