Re: Helleberg spellings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on January 24, 2003 at 23:09:31:

In Reply to: Helleberg spellings? posted by runswithscissors on January 24, 2003 at 20:47:10:

It is not a postage stamp with an inverted picture of a biplane in the center. It is just a tuba mouthpiece with a non-playing flaw. The worth is neither higher nor lower than whatever you paid for it. However, I have been seeing really good forgeries on the market the last couple of years. I think that they are coming over from Taiwan (only a guess) and usually are sold at full price to distributors who then sell them wherever. They started appearing with E.K.Blessing mouthpieces about six years ago. I do not think that these knock-offs are obvious to the reseller, as they are mixed in with real ones. But our store here in town sold several batches of "Blesing" 7C trumpet mouthpieces. We have seen some questionable Bach low brass mouthpieces as well. And we had one "Conn Helleburg". Again, this is just what I (and a number of others) have observed. These companies are not in the habit of selling merchandise bearing their name with the name spelled wrong. Conspiracy? Who knows? But I am not sure how faithful the copies are to the originals. If it plays well then you have an interesting mouthpiece. If it plays poorly then you have an interesting conversation piece.

If it is a knock-off, then it was sold as the real deal to someone who then sold it to Fedderly.

Or it could be, however unlikely (since the name is stamped by a machine), that a whole batch of misprinted mouthpieces came from the factory.

The Conn Helleberg is a really solid mouthpiece, is easy to purchase, and is relatively cheap. So you can always get another that is spelled correctly (if it really bothers you).

BTW - I once unwittingly purchased a really good forgery of a Member's Only jacket in 1982 at an upscale department store. I had it for two years before I was able to really inspect the label of a real one and figure it out. It was very irritating at the time. But it was a really good jacket nonetheless.

If it plays well, keep it. The worth is not affected in any real way.

Wade

Follow Ups: