Re: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 27, 2003 at 16:03:18:

In Reply to: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings? posted by Marty Neilan on January 25, 2003 at 23:57:46:

Hard case, schmard case. I'll use it when it is light and when it fits in a reasonable car.

For my 621, no problem. I always transport it in its hard case. It meets the above criteria. But it still has two or three dents, because I've used it extensively in outdoor gigs where things happen.

For the Holton? Or the York Master? No way. I have to actually carry the fool thing. A dent can be repaired, but back problems aren't so easily fixed (and I've been suffering with those big-time for the last week). And I don't want to hear it: Wheels don't go up and down stairs, or across muddy fields, both of which I have to contend with getting to weekly rehearsals.

And putting the case next to the chair? No way. We rehearse in a band room with tiers, and there's no room for cases, despite that the trumpets take up space I need for my stand with theirs. And if I can get enough room on stage between the expansionist percussionists and the (!) trumpet players to be able to drain water without knocking over my music stand, I'm doing good.

I have RB bags for my big horns, and that's what I use. My Miraphone was overhauled 11 years ago, and it still has no dents. The secret?

Don't knock it against things.

Rick "who uses the gig-bag to provide a handle, not to provide protection" Denney

Follow Ups: