Re: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on January 28, 2003 at 12:25:53:

In Reply to: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S posted by YEP 842S on January 28, 2003 at 11:16:53:

I've had my 842S for about a month now and it hasn't ceased to amaze me.
I compared it to the Besson Prestige, the Sovereign, the school owned Yamaha 641 that I previously played, a Willson 2900, and a REMARKABLE Kanstul non comp 3+1. Although the other horns all had their redeeming qualites, most specifically (for me) the Willson and the Kanstul, the Yamaha is hands down the best horn I have ever played. Whatever they did to tweak the 642, they sure got it right! Nearly perfect intonation over 5+ octaves, (with a bit of lipping or slide pulling on the 1234 low B natural) and EXTREMELY even response and tone quality over the horn's entire range. It is "brighter" than the Willson, Hirsbrunner, and 642, but I would be more accurate if I said "sweeter" instead of "brighter." It sings with a certain sweetness that I have found in a couple of older Sovereigns and that wonderful Kanstul; the horn literally feels alive in my hands. Even with the difference in sound, I have no trouble getting a nice, dark tone. Sounds excellent in a practice room, outside, and shines in the concert hall. Construction quality is top notch, the valves are fast and quiet, and if I am careful this horn will serve me indefinitely. The only concern I would have if I were you is availability. I spoke with Adam Frey before I got the horn and he said all the new ones are on back order. I was lucky enough to find one (slightly) used.

Good luck in your search!

-John "Can't wait to take this horn to college next year" Edens

Follow Ups: