Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: United Baggage Charge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadad on January 31, 2003 at 08:11:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: United Baggage Charge posted by no you won't on January 30, 2003 at 19:34:35:

My son flew Delta recently under the new rules; we used curbside check-in, tipped the skycap, and he took the tuba in WJ case behind the counter. No surcharge.

Interestingly, he first tried to check 3 bags (tuba in WJ case, gig bag filled with clothes, and backpack). The skycap informed us that we would be charged $80 for the 3rd bag, so my son took it as a carryon to avoid the charge. The tuba overweight/oversize charge was not an issue, at least not for this skycap.

I am all for standardized, nominal fees for oversize bags. The scary thing is that airlines are entitled to charge huge fees for oversize stuff. Knock on wood, my son has flown with his tuba many times and has never been charged. When he does get nailed, we rationalize that he has beaten the system for years and it is just now catching up with us.

Curbside check-in, with a nice tip for the skycap, is still your best shot at avoiding baggage surcharges for tubas.

Follow Ups: