Re: Mounting the leadpipe off the bell?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on January 14, 2004 at 05:32:44:

In Reply to: Mounting the leadpipe off the bell? posted by Bill on January 14, 2004 at 01:52:49:

"mounting the leadpipe off the bell" in my understanding does not imply, that there is no contact between the leadpipe and the bell.

Rather it means, that the several inches long soldering (often with lots of solder) is replaced by a few, often very short, stays.

At least some of the theory is, that if the leadpipe can oscillate more freely, the response will be faster, because the initial airstream shall move less weight.

Some have said, that the vibrations of the air in the leadpipe and in the bell is not in the same phase, which should cause attack problems.

I have no tuba-type instruments with the leadpipe off the bell. And I am not going to have reconstructions made.

If any of the above theories should be true, then I think it would be the first one. As with many design features some players will benefit more from the off-the-bell leadpipe. My guess would be that those would be the virtuouso-efficient-don't-use-more-air-than-necessary types of players. The less elegant ones, like me, will stay with the older designs and maybe even add some weight to their mouthpieces.

Klaus

Follow Ups: