Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '20s Conn CC tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I still think on January 18, 2004 at 11:45:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '20s Conn CC tubas? posted by Oh, c'mon... on January 17, 2004 at 21:00:13:

this is a b.s. post, why would conn make a three-valve CC tuba in the 20's? CC tubas are a uniquely-American development (ie they started HERE) When they started, the only market for CC's was like maybe 5 different players in the orchestras. And in the 20's (pre-radio-popularization) there just were not very many American Symphony Orchestras.

So many of the fotos of players from Helliberg through Hamburg and even that Donatelli guy illustrate that these guys didn't use horns that were common, they'd certainly want more than a three banger if they were getting a 100% custom horn in a new key built-to-order for them! And since conn was already building four banger BBflats (I owned an 1883 horn that was a factory four) do you "really" think its likely? Obviously I don't, and you're pointing to a boosey built in the 60's, alluding to its use by Mr Jacobs, as some sort of evidence that CC tubas in the 20's are a reasonable likelihood? I don't buy it, and recalling orchestration texts that I used, I seriously doubt there are ANY texts that EVER included the equipment-geek-levels of detail you seem convinced are absolute-certainly not in the 20's when post-secondary ed was much more elite and certainly NOT glutted (like today) with masses of "entitled" pretenders.

Follow Ups: