Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '20s Conn CC tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Scott on January 18, 2004 at 13:29:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '20s Conn CC tubas? posted by I still think on January 18, 2004 at 11:45:35:

Just a few comments. There are many variations of older horns out there and while there were less CCs built in the early 20th century they weren't unheard of. Conn's catalogues offered the CC option early on. An article by Jack Richardson, (sousa's first tubist for a while) mentions that some players prefer the CC-this article dates from 1917. I also question the statement that CCs are a uniquely American development. There seems to be evidence of the CC in Europe prior to this. I recall a written statement by William Bell from the 30s saying that the CC was more readily available in Europe at that time.

As to the possibility of a 3-valve CC, it's not impossible. The fourth valve was generally listed as an "add on" option in the old catalogues. A horn in CC was a similar option on some makes/models-so if one ordered a CC without the extra valve-voila: three valve CC tuba. This is conjecture on my part and I must admit I haven't seen a 3 valve American made CC; just can't think of any reason to rule it out completely.

Follow Ups: