Advantage of doubling?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curious on January 24, 2004 at 18:08:10:

I am a euphonium player, but I frequently perform on trombone and tuba. I have found that the during the periods of time I am playing alot of tuba, my euph low register seems to improve. Improvements occur in both sound and ease of production. So, here is my question.... What do you, the tuba/euph community, think about the idea of practicing tuba to improve low register on euphonium? Also, what about the other direction? Has anyone experimented with playing trumpet or flugelhorn in order to improve the high register? I have used a friends flugelhorn the last couple of days in an attempt to test this theory personally. I have not yet drawn any clear conclusions, but after playing about 3 minutes of flugel, then returning directly to euphonium and playing the same notes as I had on flugel, I feel less tired than if I had simply spent 5 minutes on high register euphonium work. I also feel I have a little more control. I know Jacobs spoke of the fact that the lip is buzzing in the same basic way on tuba, trombone, trumpet, ect. as long as the note is the same. I.e. - middle C on all 3 instruments is produced by the same basic function of the lips. This is what got me interested in playing around on the flugel in the first place. Any thoughts on this? Sorry to have been a little long winded, but I have never really heard too much discussion on this topic.

Follow Ups: