Re: Re: Re: Bore size and horn size are they related

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 09, 1999 at 13:51:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bore size and horn size are they related posted by Matt on July 09, 1999 at 08:31:37:

I'll stick my neck out even a little further:

I think the real determinant is the bottom bow of the instrument. I believe this for two main reasons. First, a larger bottom bow leads to a larger bell throat. I think the bell throat size makes much more difference in the sound quality than either the bell flare or the diameter of the bell rim. Second, a larger bottom bow requires more conical expansion through the tuba, especially if you start with a medium or smaller bore. Starting with an overly large bore can make the tuba hard to control and center. I personally think that starting with a normal (medium sized) bore with lots of expansion after the valves will make the tuba easier to control and center but still leave it with the bigger sound.

Now, if we can procure some "Black Magic" knowledge (otherwise known as "Instrument Design Science, an oxymoron if I ever heard one) to understand how and why these tendencies seem to be true, maybe we can compete with the Nirschls and the Yorks of the world...

Follow Ups: