York "Master" model BBb for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hall on July 19, 1999 at 12:15:19:

This is a four valve piston BBb tuba, with removable bell(s)[one is upright, the other forward facing, "recording" stlye. It is 4/4 size, but with a wide bell flare(upright bell). I bought this horn in 1995 from Oscar LaGasse, tubist for the Detroit Sym., retired. I would love to keep it, but the "stables" are a bit too full, and my automobile is in need of replacing!
The tone quality of this instrument is full and very focused. I used it at Tanglewood in '95 on "Pictures at an Exhibition" (except on "Bydlo",of course). It has that beautiful BBb tuba tone that sounds so right in Russian music and Sibelius, etc..
The tuba is in incredibly good condition- just a few small dents, and the usual lacquer wear. After I got the horn, I had the valves replated, which improved the horn a lot. This tuba is one of a very few BBb Yorks that has not been chopped up to make a CC tuba. I hope that the buyer of this horn wants to keep it as a BBb, but those decisions are up to the buyer. Price is $4250. Please contact me by email if you are interested, and/or have questions.
Chris Hall,
Tuba, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra

Follow Ups: