Re: St Petersburg Horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on July 26, 1999 at 16:00:33:

In Reply to: St Petersburg Horns posted by Michael Silvani on July 26, 1999 at 13:36:55:

Last Thursday I received what is supposed to be the last nickle plated St Pete from Freider at Die Tuba. He still has lacquered ones as well as "raw" Russian models, but no more nickle plated ones. Freider has a music manufacturer redo the rotors with what he terms "German machine". Tuba Exchange does not get their St Petes from Die Tuba, but from the factory in Russia. I do not know who reworks the rotors and plates them for TE. Now this is my first rotary valve horn, so I don't have past experience to draw from, but they seem to work quite well. I had to travel 150 miles to Seattle to take delivery which included going through customs. I returned home about 1 hour before I had to leave to play in a concert. I lubed the rotors, did a very fast tuning check, changed clothes and was gone. The horn performed fine. Now there may be some who say if you don't pay 5K or more for a tuba, you have junk. Well, I'm sure there are better tubas at that price, but I didn't pay that much, my total cost including shipping, case, customs, insurance, handling, and the tuba was $2758. I can tell you that this is a lot of horn for that price.

Follow Ups: