Re: Shipping for a Monster Sousaphone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on July 03, 2000 at 17:59:13:

In Reply to: Shipping for a Monster Sousaphone? posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on July 02, 2000 at 20:07:09:

Well, Kevin, this definitely makes you the horniest high schooler I know.

You know my thoughts about carrying all that weight over your left lung. Suggestions about using a "carrying strap" have merit, and you would be well advised to consider them seriously. Just remember that 40-odd pounds distributed over both lungs is still twenty pounds per side. My inclination would be to build a contraption that transfers the weight to the hips (old hiker's method for dealing with heavy knapsacks). Balance will be a very important factor ... I'm guessing your center of gravity will come up about six inches while you're carrying the horn, and your gross weight with the horn will probably increase your weight by roughly 30%. That "list" someone referred to (port list, actually, not starboard), combined with the higher center of gravity, is a prescription for disaster. Also remember ... the more energy you expend in supporting and balancing the horn, the less energy is available for playing it. So design that carrier carefully for perfect balance.

Two more pieces of advice: be sure to tie your shoelaces, and pray for a tailwind.

Congratulations!! Those of us who have experienced a "first love" like yours are right now wearing appreciative grins and looking forward expectantly to future Kevin Eckelkamp postings.

Paul

Follow Ups: