Re: Looking for something to do...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on July 10, 2000 at 04:59:09:

In Reply to: Looking for something to do... posted by Jon Piper on July 10, 2000 at 02:19:17:

Jon,

You may want to contact Brent Dutton at SDSU or Matthew Garbutt of the San Diego Symphony for anything happening around San Diego. I grew up in S.D., but it's been about 8 years since I lived there so I have been a bit out of touch. There was not much happening in San Diego tuba wise while I was there which was one of the reasons I moved. It's limited but some things to get into playing wise maybe: the San Diego Youth Symphony if you haven't auditioned already. The SeaPort Village Band, if they still exist. The Tuba Christmas which Brent Dutton hosted. Sea World, if they still have any kind of band. (I was a charter member of the Sea World Beach Band back in 1990).
As far as competitions, I haven't heard of anything hosted for solo tuba or brass for that matter in San Diego. Brent or Matt would know better than I would.

I played on a Miraphone 188 for about 4 years. I am not sure what you mean by "prototype" Have they redesigned and come up with somethig new? Let me know.
I hope this info helps you alittle. Good luck!

Follow Ups: