Re: Life Liberty and the pursuit of CC tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by farah on July 12, 2000 at 17:58:59:

In Reply to: Life Liberty and the pursuit of CC tubas posted by Joey Silva on July 12, 2000 at 16:07:22:

Hi Joey,

One of the better 4/4 horns that rival with the Hirsbrunner/Walter Nirshl (doesn't matter what size, they are still well playing instruments), is a PT-6 (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the PT-6 is a 4/4) and I think the price is rather reasonable. About half as much as a HB-50 (we just paid between $16K-$17K for a new one).

Go to this link to read more on the PT-6 http://www.chisham.com/tips/bbs/nov1999/messages/18174.html

But I have to tell you that don't rule out a "no-name-brand" tuba just because you haven't heard of it before. When I was trying out horns, after weeks of trying out one Conn after another and a string of Yamahas, Alexanders, and yes; even Holtons; I stumbled upon a weird looking horn called a "Paxman". And I fell in love with it. The paxmans were known of but weren't as popular when I bought mine way back in 1990. Still to this day, it is still the greatest horn I have ever played on. There have been horns that have come close and a few equalled it, but this one just rocks.

I'm not a tuba player, but I have heard lots of them. The PT-6 is a great horn and will last you a long time. However, stick with a good 4/4 horn. You can always upgrade later. Good luck.

Farah

Follow Ups: