Re: Life Liberty and the pursuit of CC tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on July 12, 2000 at 19:26:00:

In Reply to: Life Liberty and the pursuit of CC tubas posted by Joey Silva on July 12, 2000 at 16:07:22:

Joey,

It's hard to address what you are looking for in a "Jacobsian sound" - but I'll assume that you are seeking a sound which is more of a "blossom" than a "column", and provides more foundation than focus. The BIG horns are known for the blossom/foundation/support characteristics, but you can still find these in a 4/4 or 5/4 horn without sacrificing flexibility. Also this openness to the sound comes at a cost-a horn that is totally free-blowing like many with this playing characteristic are hard to manage breathing-wise, a difficult concern for a very young player. Remember, you'll need such flexibility for the different types of ensembles you will be trying to get into. Often the good orchestra tuba chair at every college is locked up, but there are other bands, wind ensembles, and the quintet opportunities which will go away if you go in with one, giant tuba. A year ago I bought an older 6/4 Holton "Jacobs model." I truly love this tuba, but I'd have to suggest you go with something other than a 6/4 for your first, or even second tuba. Based on my personal experience, here's a list to consider:

For "blossom" in a 4/4 or 5/4 size try the Nirschl 4/4 or the older 5/4 (model 5520)
the Nirschl's are expensive horns new (about 9 grand or more), and the older models (also marked Bohm & Meinl or Marzan) are hard to find. The Getzen/Ganadian Brass tuba is a good alternate to these, but it's a smaller horn (also pricey at 7 grand for what it is.)

For overall versatility try the Mirafone 186, best damn overall horns for the money still....and at just over 4 grand you can cover it in 1 year's student loan disbursement!

For flexibility in a horn that'll serve you well for a long time try a Meinl Weston 2145
these are around 5 grand and suitable for all but really big ensemble stuff.

I myself own a PT4P which I use for quintet, it's too small for me for large ensemble use really, but a LOT of people love these B&S-built horns and swear by their versatility. the replacement-model of this horn is (I think) called the PT-20, about 8 grand.

All told, if you want to make a good sound decision on an instrument that'll serve you well for a long while, I think that for you as a high-school student I'd really have to emphasize the Mirafone 186 ...

Follow Ups: