Re: Re: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Horsch on July 13, 2000 at 14:05:11:

In Reply to: Re: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal posted by Rick Denney on July 13, 2000 at 08:21:27:

Although I know him only from his posts on the Tubenet, I have become a Rick Denney fan. I will read his posts even when I have no particular interest in the thread. He writes very vividly, carefully in form, carefree in substance, and generally very well, and he frequently produces grins. Go read his post in search of a tuba duet for his wedding reception.

I have assumed that the discussions on "sound" issues related to different horns (German/American, bright/dark, etc.) contain a certain amount of truth and a certain amount of pedantic BS, not unlike a review of a bottle of wine. I am unsure of the balance between the two, but I have tended to weight the second of these two elements more heavily. I hear a distinctive Arnold Jacobs sound, not tied to a particular horn, and I don't hear that sound when Gene Pokorny plays the big York. Even Rick's example of the German sound ("think Roger Bobo") refers to a player, not a horn, and elsewhere we are advised to pay attention to what we hear, not the horn it is coming out of. But Rick almost had me with his posts in the tick-tock and German/American threads. He was very persuasive. There must be more substance to this than I thought.

Then comes his first paragraph in the post in this thread. I once asked a much wiser head than mine to explain an inconsistency in two of his statements. He said he did it that way so he'd be right at least half the time. Maybe that's the answer.

Chris "still a big Denney fan" Horsch

Follow Ups: