Re: Re: Re: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 13, 2000 at 14:34:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal posted by Chris Horsch on July 13, 2000 at 14:05:11:

Thanks for the kind words. I do not promise to be consistent, or even correct. I do try to write my perceptions as I perceive them, and try to lay out my reasons, so that those who disagree won't be likely to do so because they misunderstood me.

My point in writing the above is that Arnold Jacobs was a musician of the first water, and to sound like him, we'd have to be musicians of similar caliber and vision (and physical makeup). These characteristics are beyond the instrument.

I've heard him (on recordings) play on German-style instruments and American-style instruments, and the differences I've noted with other players seem to be present here, too, though the effects of the recording engineer may have too large an impact to make a fair comparison.

When I was in Oregon trying out my new horn, I also blew a few notes on Chuck's Alexander. The differences were substantial, and quite clear to the non-tuba-playing colleague who I was traveling with that day. Perhaps I was changing my sound to accommodate my preconceptions, but I rather think I'm not that skilled. We only approximate those differences with words, however, and what you think sounds "dark" might to me be "foundational," to coin Dale's excellent choice of words. Other's might mean something totally different with that word.

When I hear, say, Michael Sanders play on an Alexander, and then on a Yorkbrunner, the differences are just as marked. That's not to say that he does not produce a more foundational sound on the Alexander than I produce on the York--such is his ability. He and I don't populate the same planet. But comparing those two horns with him playing, the difference is in the same direction as the difference I hear (and objective ears hear) when I play two similar instruments.

Were my experience limited to hearing the two horns played by Michael Sanders, I would not be able to say that he didn't change his sound concept to fit the horn. Certainly, Roger Bobo doesn't get his commanding sound just from his instrument--clearly, he *wants* that sound is able to produce it. But when I hear the same difference from my own playing, then I feel more confident about the real difference.

I have no illusions of ever sounding like Jacobs, especially just because of the horn that I play, and others should not expect a new horn to bring about such a transformation either. That was my point. But I might move a little in the direction I want to by selecting a different horn.

Rick "I hope not inconsistent this time" Denney

Follow Ups: