Re: Re: Service Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubagoo on July 18, 2000 at 11:23:54:

In Reply to: Re: Service Bands posted by Mike F on July 18, 2000 at 10:42:05:

it definitely varies from band to band. I suggest you try to contact a band directly, and get a hold of the First Sargeant(commander is too busy sometimes), he is in charge of enlisted men. He might be able to give you the scoop. Then talk to one of the tuba players, they will give you the real deal.(how much army, how many parades)...talk to a couple of guys so you get a nice blend of opinions...some guys might be burnt out and give you an unfair impression. Recruiters will SOMETIMES try (pardon the expression) to blow smoke up your ass. There job is to place people in jobs. some might skip over important details. ask lots of questions. when you get down to signing a contract, don't forget to make some requests..(depending on the current need for tubas)....I have known guys to get signing bonuses, student loan payoffs, moving expenses.....doubling on electric bass for the rock band is great leverage.... Your contract should also read that it is for a specific job (i.e. tubaplayer in one of 3 or 4 bands) and not have other options like cook or infantry....

as far as basic in concerned, the consensus is that the marines is longer and harder...but they all are survivable...i was a tub of goo coming out of highschool and i lost 30 pounds and passed through basic.

Follow Ups: