Re: Service Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike F on July 18, 2000 at 10:42:05:

In Reply to: Service Bands posted by Dustin Moburg on July 18, 2000 at 10:04:26:

Well, Dustin, that depends on several variables. Mainly: which service you join, and whether you are in one of the "Regular" bands or one of the elite performing ensembles, like the President's Own, or Pershing's Own, or an Academy Band.
If you are recent college graduate, you will have a better chance (assuming you are a better player) at the top ensembles, if there is an opening. Also, most services offer quicker promotion for college grads. (The top bands start you out at a higher rank, the regular bands promote you more quickly.)
If you are thinking of enlisting right out of High School (like I did) you will probably be joining one of the regular bands. In the Marines, we call these Field Bands. (In the Army, the "Field Band" is one of their top groups. Confused yet?) The Army, Navy, and Marine Corps all send their young musicians to a School of Music together (after basic training) in Norfolk, VA. During the six month course you will learn how to play better, march in a straight line, press your boots and spit-shine your uniform. (did I say that right?) You will also have music theory and ear training classes, and be required to practic a certain number of hours a week.
Oh yeah, as to your question, will you have to "play Army"? A resounding yes. The bottom line is, as a Soldier (or Sailor, or Marine, or Fly-Boy) in the Armed Forces of the United States of America, your primary duty is to uphold the Constitution, and that sort of thing. Which means you must train regularly and realisticly, and be prepared to serve your country in peace time as well as war. I won't open the can of worm that is "which service is harder, which has better musicians, which gets to play music the most, etc.". Talk to your recruiters, ask to go to one of the bases nearby that has a band, and speak to the musicians if you can. Your recruiter may not know much about the band field (mine sure didn't) but he may have some videos you can watch, and he should be able to put you in touch with someone who does know what they are talking about.
I had a great four years in the Marines, and although it wasn't all fun, I highly recommend it to anyone serious about music (and with a deep love of our country.)

Follow Ups: