Re: YFB-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Brown on July 25, 2000 at 18:28:47:

In Reply to: YFB-621 posted by Dave on July 25, 2000 at 14:57:15:

The YFB621 is a really nice horn - it has that "Yamaha sound" that some of my colleagues have commented negatively on, but personally I like it. I made some simple modifications to mine that helped it: I had the laquer stripped, I moved the brace that is attached to the big part of the bell down closer to the valve section, and I had the lead pipe removed from the bell so it wasn't touching any part of the horn. After these modifications, the tuba sounded less bright and had more body to the sound.
I think that the horn is best suited for solo playing. I have yet to come across another F (except the YFB822) that has a low register that plays with as much ease. There's something to be said for not having to worry about playing a low C while you are on stage performing, and actually that was my motivation for purchasing a 621.
I think the 621 can work well in just about any ensemble - alot depends on the player. I didn't care to use mine in orchestral settings as I didn't think it put out the right kind of sound (or enough of it). However, I heard the Atlanta Symphony perform Symphony Fantastique about five years ago, and Mike used a YFB621 and he sounded great. He certainly put out plenty of sound, and it didn't sound small by any means. I think the moral to the story is that the instrument is only half of the equation (if even that much)- alot rides on the person playing it.
My advice - try the 621 in a variety of settings and see what YOU think.
Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: