ISO Affordable mic preamp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 26, 2000 at 02:04:34:

A little background information:
First off, I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to recording equipment and techniques. My goal is to have a cheap set up that I can plug in, point in basically the right direction and get a good quality recording from. I've rummaged about the web trying to become more cluefull but there seem to be so many choices and so much lingo to sort out that I really don't know where to begin. I'm hoping my tuba bethren won't begrudge my imposing this slightly less than on topic post.

I'm currently using a Sony MDS-JB930(very very nice minidisc recording unit), and Sony ECM-MS907($100 'semi-pro' stereo condenser mic with miniplug output...I'm actually pretty happy with this mic surprisingly enough). I've been jury-rigging my microphone into the record player input of an older than dirt integrated amplifier unit in order to get everything up to line level. This would be fine except for the fact that I've come to believe(through various experiments not worth outlining) that the record player input is in some way fudging around with the sound. The only phrase I can think is that it gives my recording a 'covered' sound. Dead.

The question:
I've come to the conclusion that I would really like to own a decent pre amp that won't 'color' the sound so much but I *really* don't want to spend much money if I can help it. I've rummaged the archives and know that Joe S. uses an old reel to reel machine. I will definately look into that option. I also have my eye on one of those $50 Radio Shack 4 track consoles. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would I be any happier with it than I am with my current set up? The idea of a console appeals to me because of the idea of the possibility of future exandability as my recording skills and knowledge grow. Any and all suggestions/pearls of wisdom/thoughts regarding the meaning of life etc. would be appreciated immensely. :)

TIA,
joseph

Follow Ups: