Re: Pops...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stuffy Musician on July 01, 2001 at 21:36:04:

In Reply to: Pops... posted by Charles D. Ortega on July 01, 2001 at 02:53:18:

I think the distinction between pops music goes is about how much thought goes into enjoying the music. There is a reason that Brahms and Bruckner are not generally in everyones library. I love their music but will not argue that it is very complex. If you have time to sit and pay attention you will understand. Most people can't and some who can won't. Pops music is what most people want. Helps them celebrate, dance, etc. and they don't have to think very much about it. Almost like the background music of their lives. Also people like the expected, the normal, in another way familiarity of pops music. This is what they have been hearing sice the beginning. Along that line, to be pops it pretty much safe, monotonous rythmic sceme. Hold the flame I know the I just used a WIDE brush so please don't go pointing out all the exceptions, but how many om-pah are there really? Not the highlight of my day. Think of 1812 overture that we will all hear in a few days. What is the only section anybody know. The beginning? No the LOUD brass tutti w/ cannons. The rhythm is just up and down. That is what people like, what they can understand, and orchestras and bands need the money. For us who need Brahms and Bruckner, we must play through Sousa first.

Follow Ups: