Re: Orchestra Policies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 08, 2001 at 08:23:58:

In Reply to: Orchestra Policies posted by Inquisitor on July 08, 2001 at 01:05:33:

Much of the answer would depend on the audition governing language of the contract that the orchestra has. For example, that same situation happened here in the FPO this season. We hired a violist for 1 year for our principal position and the guy played so well that the music director wanted to retain him permanently. He met with the audition committee, they talked about it and decided to vote on the matter. It turned out that the members of the audition committee liked his playing as well and he was awarded the job.

As far as union rules, this is what is known as an "in-house" audition. In an audition situation, the order auditions usually occur in is in-house, then local (within the area of the union local that services the orchestra), then national/international. At any point in this time frame the process can be stopped because the position has been filled by a qualified candidate. You usually don't see this in tuba auditions because a national/international audition will draw so many more players than a local or in-house audition that the orchestra would be stupid not to open the job up nationally. But hiring locally (I've never seen a tubist hired in an in-house audition, mostly because there is only one guy on the payroll) is kosher as far as I know.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: