Re: Which horn??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on July 11, 2001 at 23:11:09:

In Reply to: Which horn?? posted by tubadude on July 11, 2001 at 19:50:33:

Hi tubadude...

I play e-flat as my primary solo horn, although I am learning F. The main difference to me lies in the sound. I don't believe, personally, that one bass horn is better than the other for anything. Sure, some fingerings may be more "convenient" on certain pieces, (for example, I think the Plog Three Miniatures lies better under the fingers on F than e-flat), but there is nothing that prevents any piece from being played on either bass horn. (Well, within reason.)
I love the sound of my Besson E-flat, since I did a lot of growing up in the British brass band circles. However, sometimes I feel like a characteristic F sound would be more to my liking, and that I want that flexibility. That is why I am going to attempt to learn F. But it is really up to you. Take the sound that is best in your own ear and go with that. As was mentioned below, don't let "tradition" be a major determining factor in your decision. In my opinion, go with what you prefer. You can play Berlioz as well on e-flat as you can on f!

Follow Ups: