Re: Which horn??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 12, 2001 at 14:44:21:

In Reply to: Which horn?? posted by tubadude on July 11, 2001 at 19:50:33:

The short answer to your question is yes.

I am an Eb/CC player myself and I have never regretted not having an F tuba. I've just never been comfortable with them on the whole. I use Eb tuba for all of the traditionally F tuba pieces and without issue. It has been suggested that if you want orchestral work in the US, you better play an F tuba. Not so. The runner-up for my job played an F tuba. The final round of that audition involved only small horn playing. If I told you his name you'd all know him, so I don't think it was because I was so much better a player than he. It has also been suggested that Eb tubas don't blend well with an orchestral section. I disagree with that as well. In fact, many of my colleagues prefer my Eb tuba playing (soundwise) to the CC. I've had many an argument with the 4th horn player of the FPO about whether I should play my Willson Eb all the time. There are many successful Eb players out there, in the US and abroad. It is all a matter of finding the equipment (whatever that is) that helps you do the job in the best way you can.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: