Re: Re: Re: what note on the tuba is 33 hz?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Rubenacker on July 18, 2001 at 09:52:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: what note on the tuba is 33 hz? posted by Marty on July 17, 2001 at 20:02:00:

All I know is that 64' stops on pipe organs can produce. A 64'C is about 8 hz while 32'C is about 16 hz. My guess is that 10 hz would be around the E or F above 64'C. An you are correct, 10 hz is below the human hearing range. When you listen to a pipe organ in this range, it's more of a rumbling than an actual note. You can almost count the cycles each second. It's amazing. It's something you don't hear every day. As for trying to play it on a tuba, I woulnd't know where to begin. Flicking your tongue might work but who knows? It certainly would be interesting if someone could actually get down to that note by one means or another.

Chris

P.S. I have a friend who has a CD of a recording on the Atlantic City Organ. One track is a 64' stop feature which is a chromatic scale from 32'C to 64'C. I would imagine that hearing it in person isn't quite the same as hearing on a stereo. Either way it's still very amusing to listen to.

Follow Ups: