Re: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Siegfried on July 26, 2001 at 00:22:44:

In Reply to: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments? posted by Urbie Watrous on July 25, 2001 at 14:23:08:

I bought a Wurlitzer BBb horn off the internet earlier this year. I'm having some work done to it now, and it's been in the shop for two months (valve replating). I have found some information you may find useful. Most of the band instruments are very old, like 70 years or so. The Wurlitzer Co. began in Cincinnati before the turn of the century, then expanded to Chicago. Around 1924 (if I remember right) they moved to North Tonawanda N.Y. When they made that last move, they started dropping out of the band instrument business to concentrate on organs, pianos and jukeboxes. I also found out that Wurlitzer didn't make many of their own instruments, especially the bigger ones like tubas. They bought them from other manufacturer's and put the Wurlitzer name on them. I've been told that my BBb is actually a Martin, probably from around 1910. There doesn't seem to be any recording of serial numbers, so I'll never be positive about the date. It's a well made horn, built like a tank. One odd thing with mine is that the lead pipe goes into the second valve, instead of the first. From what I understand about it, it was one of those experiments that many manufacturers tried at one time or another. I hope some of this info helps. If I can help in any way,please don't hesitate to ask. Dave Siegfried

Follow Ups: