Re: Band Literature and the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on July 29, 2001 at 09:09:04:

In Reply to: Band Literature and the Tuba Player posted by Katy Jablonski on July 28, 2001 at 14:23:54:

Matt's idea about recruiting from the flutists is good, the (usually overstaffed) sax section is also a good place to go hunting --

Our local high school has only two (soon to be three) bands and two jazz bands, flute choir and percussion ensemble and is chronically short of tuba players. I've been working with one of the middle school band directors to recruit and teach tuba players, getting them appropriate instruments and mouthpieces (ever try to put a 100# kid on a full size BBb compensating Besson with a mouthpiece that doesn't fit the small shank?). Some progress, but the key is making it seem "cool" as Matt said. If the image of tuba players is fat geeks or girls, it will be hard to get players. If the image is 'normal' kids who are part of one of the 'in' crowds, it will be much easier.

In that regard, I don't think it's a good idea to take the bottom players of a section (as someone suggested) and move them to tuba -- if they weren't motivated on trumpet, what makes anyone think they'll be motivated on tuba? It may be necesary to get enough sousaphones on the field in the fall, but it won't improve the sound of the concert bands. One idea there is to take a few good players from other sections, put them on tuba for the marching season and then let them go back to their primary instrument for concert season if they want to. Most will go back, but you could get a couple of GOOD players to stick -- that's what our HS director has done.

As for music, you've had good suggestions, I'd add a few: G. Huffine's march Them Basses is good and not too difficult, likewise The Walking Frog. From some of the march books ( I can't remember which one right now) there is an arrangement of the Beer Barrel Polka in which the tubas carry the introduction -- not long, and not really hard at all, but the melody for the famous intro. There's also an arrangement of Puff the Magic Dragon where the tuba carries the melody, but it's fairly high for young players -- I think it goes up to middle c in a couple of places.

As a hoot (which could also work with your arranging skills), you can download (I think from the Smithsonian) a peice called "Helicon Schottishe" written in the 19th century for Eb Bass solo with brass band. You'd have to arrange some of the parts for full band and again, it's a little high in places, but it's not a bad piece.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: