Band Literature and the Tuba Player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katy Jablonski on July 28, 2001 at 14:23:54:

Some background before I get to my main point:

I am a high school band director at a school of 1700 or so in Duluth, Minnesota. I teach at my alma mater and my colleague is my old band director. We currently have 6 concert bands and 2 jazz ensembles; "Torm",my colleague, has the top two concert bands and the top jazz ensemble. I teach the remaining 4 groups and the second jazz ensemble. As Torm retires soon (perhaps as soon as after this year), I am looking long-term as to what this program needs.

I need tuba players. Correction: I need GOOD tuba players. We have three in our top band, three in our second band, and one in each of the bottom three groups. Upon listening to recordings of last year's concerts, I had an epiphany: I need more tubists in those younger groups. A band's tone/intonation/blend/balance, after all, is hugely dependent on having a good strong solid foundation (aka tuba).

My natural tendency is to recruit like crazy. Ways to do this?
1. Play recordings of the greats for the students to hear. Most don't have a CLUE of what the tuba can do.
2. Hire professionals to give masterclasses, etc....more exposure.
3. Offer incentives to switch(bonus points, whatever, etc.)

I have a few other ideas, one of which is playing literature that appeals to tubists. Hopefully these pieces have a bit of melody so the other band members can hear it.

I know most of you focus on the orchestral world, but I have to believe that somewhere along the line most of you had experience in band. To those of you who have, what are your recommendations for band literature with great tuba parts? Even if it's a two measure solo. I know a few, but hopefully you folks can be a great resource!

My questions for the TubeNetBBS: 1)What band literature is out there that is FUN for the tuba player? 2) What methods of recruitment do you suggest I utilize? 3)How does one milk the most out having only ONE tubist available to your ensemble?

Any help on this issue is MUCH appreciated!
-Katy

Follow Ups: