Re: question for st pete players(kinda long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 02, 2002 at 07:53:45:

In Reply to: question for st pete players(kinda long) posted by me on July 02, 2002 at 00:24:06:

If you're experiencing better centering of notes after tightening the springs (I don't think oiling the valves would have anything to do with this) then I would suggest that your rotary valves are slightly out of alignment. Have you checked them? When was the last time you replaced the bumpers? The bumpers absorb liquids over time (water, oil, etc.) and expand to the point that they no longer keep the valves in alignment. Trimming the bumpers until they leave the valves in alignment (at both positions) is the way to go.

As far as the "hole at the end of the leadpipe", this is common on european horns. Instead of installing a mouthpiece receiver (most American horns have this), they just put a sleeve around the end of the leadpipe and shape the interior of the end of the leadpipe to simulate a receiver. I have at least a couple horns that use this same setup. I don't think this leadpipe configuration is any sort of problem.

One of the reasons I don't like the St. Pete line of tubas is that I find them hard to center as well. Perhaps you're using the wrong mouthpiece or perhaps you don't have a very good horn. I don't really know since I don't know you or your playing or your horn. All I can suggest is that you find a good teacher and have him/her play the horn to see if there is something wrong with it. Otherwise, it might be some problem with the way you play. In any event, having some good quality private instruction can't hurt!

Good luck to you!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: