Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 02, 2002 at 15:17:05:

In Reply to: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best posted by Matt G on July 02, 2002 at 14:47:06:

Matt, I think Doug won't be able to take much of your advice. He's stuck in south Texas with an instructor who tells him that Miraphone 188's and Conn 56J's are both good (they are, of course, but it's a little silly for a teacher to recommend both to one player, right?). It may be that Doug doesn't really know what he wants, and his teacher is covering a wide range with a couple of suggestions. It may also be that his teacher isn't really that well-versed in what's out there and doesn't want to screw up.

Therefore, I think versatility is probably the most important consideration. On that score, I would suggest the 188. It's big enough to carry an orchestra or work in a large band, small enough to work in ensembles, and proven enough to hold its value even now when Miraphones are not the flavor of the month in some quarters. Plus, it's the only one of these that stands a good chance of being a great tuba when bought sight unseen.

The conventional wisdom of traveling to a tuba store and trying 15 different tubas will eat up about a grand of his budget, especially if he does it in three rounds. If you are shopping in the $12,000 range, it's worth it, but maybe not in the $7000 range. Plus, it will likely confuse him more than bring clarity, unless he has a known-good horn to compare them to and a mature idea of the sound he wants. When he's a few more years along, he'll want to do that, and he won't need our advice then.

I base my advice not on tuba teaching or skill, neither of which I'm qualified to do, but on common sense given the requirements as Doug has laid them out.

Doug:

If you can't wait for TBA or if you can't make it to San Antonio, then just buy the Miraphone.

For Miraphones, you have two choices. The first is to call the Brasswind, and get the tuba they have in stock. The second is to call Tony Clements and get a tuba that comes with top-flight advice and some assurance that it will be a good one for you. Call both, and buy from whoever gives you the most value (which is different than the lowest price). You won't find a better price on a new Miraphone.

Take really good care of it. If you get to the point where it doesn't suit you, you can sell it for a high percentage of what you paid for it, but only if it's still really pretty.

Rick "thinking this approach has as good a chance of success as spending a week in another city, eating up the budget" Denney

Follow Ups: