Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BP on July 03, 2002 at 14:05:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya' posted by Rick Denney on July 03, 2002 at 09:01:16:

No, I am not missing the point. I just wouldn't care to hear a cello play a transcription of a tuba solo. That would be like cello players telling other cello players to listen to a tuba player play one of their own solos. As for the sound, I'm not just talking about the tone of the cello I'm also talking about the STYLE. Stings and brass just have a different style of playing. I know how good strings are supposed to sound. My mom has recordings of Issac Stern, Yascha Heifitz, etc. She was a violin performance major at Carnegie Mellon and studied with players from the Pittsburg Symphony. Yes, it is good to imitate and take concepts from other intramentalists on THEIR solos, but frankly it is insulting that I read that tubists should "must buy" a recording of a little string group and listen to a cello play a transcribed tuba part. As for clarity, go back and read what Mike and I wrote. I have the recording of Sensemaya, as well as other music by Silvestre Revueltas with Esa-Pekka Salonen and the L.A.Philharmonic. Norm Pearson, like Mike said, is very clear and accurate. It sounds as if the mike is placed just a few feet from his bell. It is very present, and you can hear ALL of the rythyms played very accurately. It is a fine recording. Maybe you and a few others should check it out.

Follow Ups: