Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 03, 2002 at 14:25:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya' posted by BP on July 03, 2002 at 14:05:45:

I will. I have also heard the work live with Lee Hipp playing the part.

But as much as I admire Norm Pearson (which is lots, and not just for his beautiful playing), it will do me no harm to hear alternate interpretations, especially when I can hear it clearly. Why the heck should we tuba players be insulted by that? Haven't we insulted cellists with our blatty renditions of the Bach Cello Suites enough so that we can forgive them for sending some of it back our way? Just maybe this cellist is a better musician than most tuba players. He was good enough to impress at least one tuba player enough to post a recommendation. We will only know by listening--hence the recommendation, it seems to me.

I didn't see anywhere anybody suggesting this Kronos version instead of the orchestral recordings, but rather as a supplement to them that has value because of the way it's recorded (and because of the way it's played).

Rick "happy to have a tune that's ours that is good enough to be worth borrowing" Denney

Follow Ups: