Re: Marine band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by One of the Few on July 05, 2002 at 13:52:44:

In Reply to: Marine band posted by Tony on July 05, 2002 at 09:54:56:

Impressive musicians. I do have to give them credit, but Marines, I think not. I was shocked. I had no idea that they didn't go to boot camp. I actually thought that every Marine was a Marine. You know "The Few, The Proud". I really thought that I had earned something back in the summer of '73 when I walked off the parade deck at Paris Island. I felt like I had earned the right to wear the uniform. These people think that they have the right to wear the uniform just because they are excellent musicians. I’m sorry to say, these are not Marines. Could be that they believe that the audition process, as demanding, and rigorous as it is, justifies their claim to the title of United States Marine. We didn't audition for it we earned it.

That might step on some toes, but this time it's my toes. I honestly believe that anyone that went through what we went through will feel the same way. Niteline was interesting, but I will forever look at the US Marine Band in a totally different light.
I did read (http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/abt_people_more.html) the commonly asked questions on the US Marine Band website, but their explanation just does not hold water. There are equally talented and educated people that earn the right to call themselves Marines. Like the ones that enter OCS and go on to flight training. They could consider themselves some of the most talented and educated in the world. And they too risk their careers by subjecting themselves to the demands and rigors of boot camp..
If I applied that same logic, I could not justify forcing them to endure boot camp. They might just as easily sustain and injury that could end their career as a pilot. But they do sacrifice, persevere, and endure to earn the title of Marine.
I realize that these aviators are trained for a combat role, and the US Marine Band "has no tactical or combat mission", as the website states. But the bottom line still remains; a Marine ought to be a Marine. Simply wearing the uniform (with chevrons located and spaced correctly, and spit shined boots, with a high and tight) does not make one a Marine.
Is this the same for other branches? Can you be in "Pershings Own" without going to boot camp?

Follow Ups: