Re: York tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 08, 2002 at 20:19:28:

In Reply to: York tubas posted by Chris on July 08, 2002 at 18:38:22:

I can't speak for all the folks who must have considered this question over the years. However, I can say that I asked this question many years ago and the basic problem, as told to me, was that all the equipment the York factory used to make tubas disappeared after the factory closed. I've spoken to many who were wondering why the York line has not been resurrected, either by restarting the company or by another manufacturer picking up the production. The missing tooling seemed to be the one hurdle that nobody seemed to have a good solution for. I've heard rumors that Conn might have that equipment but nothing has been confirmed that I know of. Until such time as someone finds that equipment, thereby having some good chance of continuing the authentic production of the York tubas, I would speculate that any manufacturer would have a better chance of producing a really first class instrument by spending their time (and money) optimizing their own current designs. Trying to recreate the York line without the original tooling would be expensive (just look at the current crop of copies and their price tags), time consuming, and would have no better chance of success than any other "new" design, developed from the ground up. That's too bad because I would like to see this line reincarnated with the aids of modern technology. The combination might yield a very interesting tuba!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: