Re: Re: Re: York tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 10, 2002 at 11:27:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: York tubas posted by Brian Frederiksen on July 09, 2002 at 17:13:16:

Exactly. Based on your book, I asked Pat Sheridan why Boosey and Hawkes didn't put the York label on the new Nirschl-designed Besson CC. It would seem a natural and defensible thing to do. He agreed and made inquiries, with the result that if B&H owns the name, they don't know they own it.

So, who did it get sold to way back in 1971? If the company who owned it then never sold it and went belly up, then it's possible someone could revive the name legally.

But there will never be another York made in Grand Rapids, so it probably doesn't even matter any more. Brand loyalty is strong. My post-Grand-Rapids York is legitimately and legally a York, but if I don't say "York Master" when I describe it, I get dumped on (and I get dumped on occasionally even when I do). The tuba-buying community, at least the part that knows the York name, is pretty knowledgeable and won't be impressed with a stencil, however good.

Rick "who thinks the value of the name is more in the factory than in the letters on the bell" Denney

Follow Ups: