Re: Sight-reading

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on July 12, 2002 at 15:32:19:

In Reply to: Sight-reading posted by Steve on July 10, 2002 at 16:34:19:

Many of these posts offer excellent advice - know your scales inside and out, thirds exercises, playing by ear, etc. Marvelous. Now let's examine what sight reading is. The ability to play from one note to the very next note, in tune and in rhythm; over and over very quickly. Know your intervals - ALL OF THEM. Know what they sound like, what they look like and what they feel like on the horn and on the piano keyboard. Sing them to understand them. Be able to recognize them instantly. Next develop your rhythm skills. I recommend taking snare drum lessons. These guys are exposed to only rhythm and dynamics and you don't have to worry about the fingerings or breathing or pitches. Then start sight reading duets with other people - challenge yourself to do the impossible. I matured playing violin duets with a xylophonist, cello duets with cellists, clarinet duets, trumpet duets, learn the transpositions and be fluent in treble cleff and at least two other cleffs. (I recommend mezzo soprano and tenor as these are the more common B flat and F transpositions).

Start with intervals - once you really know them you've crossed the first hurdle and this takes about 30 days.

Play well and have fun.
Roger

Follow Ups: