Re: Re: pricing perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Thimker (js) on July 13, 2002 at 20:26:40:

In Reply to: Re: pricing perspectives posted by Twisted Math Ahead on July 13, 2002 at 18:56:35:

No...

Of course, an internet auction isn't the right place to shop for such a bassoon. It is just an convenient website that I stumbled across to link to today to demonstrate the market value of some other types of instruments. It is very rare than anyone tries to sell their 5XXX serial # and up Heckel bassoon via an auction.

Very few tuba players buy more expensive tubas via auction, either.

Apparently, the manufacturing "time and trouble" of bassoons is fairly comparable to the amount of "trouble" that it is to build the most expensive tubas, because a very serious bassoon "runner-up", Fox, is available for about the price of the most expensive tubas (around $16K).

The Heckel bassoons (again after 5XXX serial number series) still hold enough mystique to demand prices in the range that they do...

...and string instruments sell for much more than $25K - $30K quite often.

BUT THAT REALLY WASN'T THE POINT.

HERE'S THE POINT:

When serious tuba students are trying to become professional tuba players (or have already graduated and are on the audition circuit attempting to make tuba playing their career) considering that tuition can cost from $12K - $25K PER YEAR and one is dedicating potentially the most energetic and productive years of their life to this pursuit (' unable to attach monetary value to this, as this cannot be bought at any price), why let the price of $8K for one tuba vs. $10K for another tuba even be a factor in the decision?

Again, I'm not speaking to hobbiests here. OF COURSE most hobbiests must watch their budgets and not allow their hobbies to get out of control.

When other types of instrumentalists who are no more wealthy as a group than tuba players are prepared to spend truly serious money for instruments, again, candidates to be professional tuba players should breathe a bit of a sigh of relief at their many choices and lower price points and, again, not allow one or two thousand dollars price difference to even be a factor in the selection of an instrument.

Again, this is the same argument that I brought forth quite a few months ago. At that time I was accused of being an elitist, a Hirsbrunner snob (' only owned one Hirsbrunner for a few months once) and other stuff.

I was just curious if the "brand" of the flames received this time would be any different from the ones received last time.

Follow Ups: