Re: MW 2141 Eb vs. Willson 3400 Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Johnson on July 14, 2002 at 07:53:53:

In Reply to: MW 2141 Eb vs. Willson 3400 Eb posted by Careful Shopper on July 12, 2002 at 14:10:16:

I currently own both of these instruments. I have had the Willson 3400 for 5 years the MW 2141 for 1 1/2 (it is the redesigned, improved instrument). Both are wonderful - well made, good intonation, and fun to play. It is just that they are very different instruments. The W 3400 is a big, heavy instrument that is good for large ensembles and exposed solos. You can generate substantial volume. I frequently set aside my W 3100 in deference to this one. The MW 2141 has a smaller, lighter sound. The notes center very well throughout the register. My only problem with the MW is the valves. The construction is such that water accumulates around the first valve so the valve oil dissipates quickly. This requires frequent oiling. Also, the valve offset is such that you need to change the springs that come with the instrument or else you hand will begin to cramp after about three hours of continuous playing.

I have also played extensively, side by side, the MW 2141 and the PT-22. Both are very similar is response and intonation. It is just that the MW 2141 is a lot less expensive and you do not have to deal with the unpleasant dudes at Custom Music.

Follow Ups: