Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Z on July 17, 2002 at 06:58:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Brass Band posted by Anthony on July 17, 2002 at 02:23:37:

Hi, Anthony,
The brass band functions just like any other community band, except that once a year, if the band wants, there is a competition called the North American Brass Band Association Championships. There is a link to their site in my original post. Basically, bands come from all over North America to be judged and ranked in specific categories, Championship, Honors, Challenge, Explorer, Open and Youth (from top to bottom) Bands are judeged by a blind panel of three judges (much as done in the UK and elsewhere) and then the bands are ranked. There are small cash prizes in each division a trophy and bragging rights. It is a fledgling thing in the US and Cananda, but in the UK, Europe and Australia, it is approached with an intensity not unlike soccer. They have a competition season, culminating in several large extravaganzas (British Open, Champions of Great Britain, European Champions, etc) Some research will give you tons more info. I am still a student of the thing myself.

I find that the competition thing has given my band motivation to grow musically. Not that we go to competition to "Blow People Away" so much as to go, knowing that we will be playing for our peers. There is a MOSTLY healthy attitude in the contest world. We like to go, hopefully win, DEFINITELY to play well, and to commiserate with our brass band colleagues. This art form has great integrity, great musicians and a growing audience. It is a unique musical experience!

Sorry to ramble...

Follow Ups: