Re: Re: Re: Mr. Tuba's Prices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on July 09, 2003 at 20:16:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mr. Tuba's Prices posted by Wes on July 09, 2003 at 14:42:35:

One of the reasons you are advised to ask help from your embassy in Moscow is exactly, that YOU don't know how much help they can provide you. But be sure, they will know a lot of scenarios of international trade and how to handle them.

When one asks for advise, one shall never narrow the scope of good advise given. One shall investigate the full horizon opened to one. Step-by-step-"I will hold your hand"-type advise can be OK, but also very limiting, if one does not take a few more looks around to find more options.

As this board is international, and as students study in foreign countries, I will make an outline of how to handle your tuba situation:

You want to buy a tuba in Western Europe.

If you want to buy a German made tuba, then buy it in Germany. The selection is much wider there. Bob Tucci has a store, and he is one of the biggest pools of tuba knowledge. Worldwide. And he is a very helpful guy, even if he does not hide his own points of view. Yes, I have talked with him and bought from him.

If you want to buy a British made tuba, then buy it in the UK. You already have contacts there.

You can save the VAT, if taking the instrument out of the EU permanently.

If you plan to stay forever in Russia, you will have to pay Russian import taxes, duty, VAT, or whatever applies there.

If you are planning to return to the US (most likely provable by the limited time range of your permit to stay in Russia), you might persuade the Russian authorities to either

let the tuba follow you into Russia without any paying of Russian taxes

or

let you pay a deposit equalling the Russian taxes, but refundable, when you leave Russia.

Maybe none of my suggestions will apply exactly as outlined, but that is where knowledgeable people like the staff of your Moscow embassy should be asked for precise details. Actually their only raison d'être is to help you.

No matter which authorities you will meet, foreign or domestic, the more seriously you have prepared yourself, the better the treatment they will give you.

Klaus

Follow Ups: