Lip questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Student on July 12, 2003 at 01:43:30:

Question time:

1. I know the regular ratio for lips is 1/2 & 1/2. However, does that ratio change in the extreme registers? My guess is yes. Further, I think that the higher you go, the more BOTTOM lip you use, and the lower you go, the more TOP lip you use, is that right? or Backwards? Does it vary from person to person?

2. In examining my embouchore (sp?) I have noticed that the fleshy pink part of my upper lip is coming out the lower I go in the middle range. Is that normal?

3. It used to be I would get a really bad ring on my lips when I was done playing, and not just a ring, but like an indention, or crater. I didn't feel like I was applying a lot of pressure, but when I started playing again, this summer, i tried using very little pressure, and my range is better, I think. But right now, I don't sound too good, because I'm still working out the kinks in the no pressure thing. I am happy to say I don't have a crater any more, and the ring is extremely faint, if it shows at all, even after a couple of hours of playing. Some of it in the extreme register, it is just that I am having trouble transitioning between the upper register where it is nice and firm, and i am using more bottom lip to the middle register, where it seems more loose (duh!) and I am trying to use more 1/2 & 1/2. Any ideas? And the low register is no problem. It seems to be the middle register. I am getting this weird double buzz thing, but I am attributing it to re-training my embouchore.

4. I also have a problem with the ring being a little to my right, on my face. That annoys me, so I am trying to move it over a little. Thoughts?

I would ask my questions to my teacher, but he isn't around in the summer.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way.

Follow Ups: