Re: Re: Cuts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 06, 2000 at 15:23:26:

In Reply to: Re: Cuts posted by Rick Denney on June 06, 2000 at 13:03:29:

An aspect of your comment that I missed was why orchestral players would prefer a cut horn in CC with its attendant risks rather than using the same horn in BBb. I can't speak for pros, but I can speak for a few wannabes, some of whom may be paid for their music.

For many players not confident in their position or principles of sound, they may look on showing up to an orchestra gig with a BBb the same way I'd look on showing up to a band gig with a sarrusaphone. It is true that some sousaphones sound better and more appropriate to the task than some tubas, and it is also true that a classic American BAT in BBb may be a better instrument in BBb than in CC.

But what will the bass trombone player think? And what will he whisper into the ear of the personnel manager? And what will the personnel manager whisper into the maestro's ear? An orchestral tuba player not totally confident in his or her position will be worried about such things.

I'm thinking of the extensive and eloquent justification of the use of Eb instead of F as told by Mr. Bertolet. If Eb had the same orchestral reputation as F, he would hardly spend the time justifying it.

Being concerned about appearances isn't always wrong. If I'm a professional photographer, and I show up, say, to a wedding gig with a cheapie point-n-shoot, I will be in trouble with my clients. They expect me to show up with something big and professional looking--otherwise they feel cheated. I get more respect if I'm asking them to look down the nose of a big pro camera and therefore I get better results. But I can still win a Pulitzer Prize with that point-n-shoot if I point it in just the right direction and push the button at just the right time. One might get just the right effect with a BBb, but the prejudices of those around them might mask that quality.

I'm not even addressing the notion that CC's might be intrinsically better suited to the task than BBb's. I'm sure my ears could not make that distinction, but others probably can.

Rick "I'd rather leave it in BBb so I can play it" Denney

Follow Ups: