Re: I need advise on my future in tuba!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 07, 2000 at 13:20:13:

In Reply to: I need advise on my future in tuba!!!!!! posted by Kevin Eckelkamp on June 07, 2000 at 12:10:28:

Kevin,

You could always try the repair route. There are entirely too few qualified instrument repair techs out there. In addition the Renton, WA, there's also Redwing in MN. Both have websites. Could be a nice supplement to performing.

There's also music history, if you like that sort of thing. Always jobs at colleges & universities if you get the grad degrees. There's also composition, and theory.

Other than that, you could check schools in surrounding states. N. Iowa has a dynamite studio and teacher in Jeff Funderburk. K.C. Conservatory, but I don't know what their tuba situation is. U of Kansas, U of Oklahoma (my alma mater and one of the best marching bands in the US [I'll e-mail you about that]), U of Illinois, most of the big state schools will let you major in tuba, and I would be suprised if U of MO doesn't, and just didn't mention it on their website.

Like you said, it's a tough row to hoe. I heard somewhere that you have a statistically better shot at the NBA than you do as a pro tuba player. But if you (and a trusted tuba teacher) think that you have what it takes, by all means, follow your dream.

Steve Dedman
Knoxville, TN

Follow Ups: